Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2009

I'm extremely humbled...

and very honored. I think many of you know that I participated in Scott Kelby's 2nd annual World Wide Photowalk 2 weeks ago. Several of you were with me. And many of you also know (because I haven't shut up about it) what a fantastic time I had, and that it was an incredibly fun day. We walked for the better part of 9 hours all over China Town, Union Station, and Olvera Street. We wandered together shooting, sharing, talking, laughing, and teaching. We shot in some places as a group, and in many places we each found something that intrigued only us. And it was all okay. We waited while everyone found and shot what they were looking for and then headed off as a group. I got to know some of you very well, and am a better person for the experience. So much so, that Jeffery Saddoris and I are organizing our own walk on 8/29 in Venice and we hope you'll be able to attend.


At this point your probably wondering why I am writing another post about the walk. Didn't I just do last week? Yes. But the walk has left an indelible mark on me. I did it as much for the camaraderie than I did for the pictures. And yet, in my mailbox yesterday, they crowned a winner of our shoot. There were more than 30,000 photographers participating in 900 walks all over the world. Each local walk would crown a winner, and that winner will be entered into the world wide pool of winners, and 1 Grand prize winner and 10 honorable mentions will be selected. Say hello to the Chinatown walk winner. I actually first heard I'd won on Twitter. What an amazing little program that is, but I will save that for another post.

The winning image is the one you see here. We started our walk at 8am, while Chinatown was still sleeping. It was very calm and peaceful, which was exactly what I'd seen when I noticed the reflections of the lanterns in this Koi pond. To say I'm honored is an understatement. I am truly humbled. There were so many great images, and again, I was already a winner just by participating.

Damon Webster, our walk leader and host of http://www.photoinduced.com/ had this to say about my image, "The winner was chosen for the depiction of Chinatown, and a feeling that it gave of a culture in its delicate reflections and composition. I could almost hear the music of a Ruan when viewing it. Congratulations Frank "

Of course, my wife has a way of making sure I don't get a big head when she said "so now your up against all the other winners from around the world. There are a lot of places much more beautiful"

Thanks honey!

Many more images shot by myself and the other Chinatown walkers can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1175978@N21/pool/

Coming up this week in class:

Monday night lecture

Tuesday night model shoot, in a brand new location (I heard you all say "Finally!")

Wednesday night Engagement shoot, bring your gear.

Have a great week, and see you soon!

Frank

7 comments:

  1. Congratz!!! I'm rootin' for ya. Verrry nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Frank....I loved this image when you first posted it..I'm rooting for you..Your favorite trouble maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Frank...that's very exciting and you know I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Just to be one of the finalist...you're already a winner. Did I ever tell you that I won second place in a nation wide photo contest on Shutterfly? It was sponsered by Snausages. I won...get ready for this...$2500.00. That's how I got my new laptop...with my winnings. The contest was to submit a picture of your dog doing something human like...something a human could or would do. I captured a picture of Chessie on the bed, on her back with her paws over her eyes and named it, "Not Another Picture".
    Good luck to you. It's a great picture...looks like a winner to me.
    A new shooting location on Tuesday? You've piqued my curiosity. Just when I'm feeling at home in the alley you switch on me.
    See you at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, very cool. I loved that photo when you singled it out in your post. Imagine that! Love it! Good luck in the finals!!!!! Hey, Costco is having a cool contest, International Photo Contest 2009. You should definitely submit your shot! Hey' could get a Costco Cash card worth between $250 and $1,500. Not too shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anonymous...we're all his favorite trouble makers. Frank must have taken lessons from my mom..."Don't tell the others but you're my favorite" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATES Frank!! Very nice shot. Bring home the gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone. As soon as I find out where we can go see all the winners, I will let everyone know. The Grandprize winner will be announced on 8/17/09

    ReplyDelete