Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Life's Prizes




I talk often about being thankful. Grateful. Appreciative. I struggled for years with all of those. Asking for help. Assistance. Acknowledging you can't do it alone. I still struggle with these. But I'm getting better.


The end of last year/beginning of this year has been all about change for me. Mostly personal, health related. Several changes involve throwing some things against a wall to see what sticks. But I have faith. This week is the 3rd anniversary of my heart attack at 38. And while that alone wasn't enough for me to quit smoking, the last 3 months of my life have gotten me prepared. My 10th wedding anniversary just passed too. I've been very reflective these past couple of weeks. Some may even say to the point of paranoia. But I'm feeling better. And it's getting easier. And I am tending to things that needed some maintenance. And I'm happy. And today I came across this, and needed to share. It was an ad campaign for the United Technology Company:


Most of us miss out on life’s big prizes.


The Pulitzer.


The Nobel.


Oscars.


Tonys.


Emmys.



But we’re all eligible for life’s small pleasures.


A pat on the back.


A kiss behind the ear.


A four-pound bass.


A full moon.


An empty parking space.


A crackling fire.


A great meal.


A glorious sunset.


Hot soup.


Cold beer.


Don’t fret about copping life’s grand awards. Enjoy it’s tiny delights.


There are plenty for all of us.





Relish the small pleasures. And be grateful. Thankful. Let someone else know they contributed to your good mood. Help someone else. Enjoy. Relax. Share. Give out a nice "That'll do Pig". A hug. Let someone know you appreciate the things they do for you. And don't expect anything back. It will come back to you. I promise

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You have grasped things that most don't until much later on. Maybe it's just because you're "Wise" or, maybe it's the blessings on the other side of the crud you've been through...or maybe a little of both. Either way, you're blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know...
    Glad you survived it, and glad you're still around for me to call my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frank. Had a good chuckle at the pig comment, hadn't heard that for awhile. Hope you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete