Pages

Monday, October 9, 2017

Trail Running

Panasonic Lumix DMC-10

I have spent a good deal of time trail running this summer. I take my dogs with me on these runs, and the one thing I always miss is the ability to carry my DSLR as I'm running. I get to run through some pretty amazing places, and often during the most gorgeous light. As a compromise, I have a small point and shoot, a GoPro, and an iPhone that I will swap between (I never take them all) depending on what I think I might encounter that day.

GoPro Hero 5 Black

In general, each camera serves a completely different purpose. As much as I'd like, there isn't a 1 size fits all for what I would like to do, so it is all a series of compromises and decisions that need to be made before leaving the house.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-10

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-10 is an amazing point and shoot camera. It has a large sensor for a p&s, and a beautiful lens. It takes amazing photos, but it is big and heavy for a p&s, and it isn't water/sweat proof or  super heavy duty for the beating things take getting bounced around on a trail run. I wind up carrying it in a ziplock to try and prevent it from getting wet. The images that come from it could be used in ad campaigns.

GoPro Hero 5 Black

The GoPro is much more suited to this type of shooting. Waterproof and virtually indestructible, this is exactly what this camera was designed to do. I like the voice control feature. The compromise lies in image quality and camera versatility. There is no zoom, the lens moves in steps. Wide, medium, etc. I love that it is small and light though, and it winds up being my go to most of the time. 

iPhone 7
I also use my iPhone a lot. This is the one constant. I always have my phone. I use the RunKeeper app on it and since most of my runs are early in the morning and just me and the dogs, I can use it in case of emergency. It is a great running companion. 

Panasonic Lumix DMC-10

As is the case with most photography scenarios, you never have access to all the tools you wish you had. Instead of looking at it as "I wish I had", I prefer to find ways to capture the image I want with the tools I have. When trail running, the gear I can take with me is extremely limited. I find that liberating.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-10

GoPro Hero 5 Black

GoPro Hero 5 Black

GoPro Hero 5 Black
Rule #1 in photography: Shoot what you love. I love my dogs, I love trail runs, and I love photography. I hope it shows...

Frank and Team #blackdogsrule

No comments:

Post a Comment