Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

28" Westcott Appollo Softbox

I just received my 28" Westcott Apollo Softbox late last week, and aside from a brief use on Thursday night, actually got to practice in a more natural situation today with my favorite model. Set up couldn't be any easier, as it is an "umbrella style" softbox, meaning it opens up just like an umbrella. The softbox attaches to your stand via the umbrella holder on the flash bracket, or through the umbrella hole on your studio strobes. As the flash unit mounts inside the softbox, TTL communication is impossible, and requires the use of radio triggers like Pocket Wizards or an inexpensive solution like those offered by CowboyStudios.

I tend to be an available light shooter, so when I use light modifiers, it is generally to "enhance" a portrait, so the image doesn't scream "FLASH". As you will see in the sample images below, the effect is subtle, basically just giving a little pop to the skin tones, and creating a nice catch light in the eyes. The images were shot between 10:30 and 11:30 am, with the sun directly overhead. I choose a spot in shade, and the available light was actually quite nice, and certainly usable, but then I wouldn't get to use my new toy. I was looking to balance the available light with flash, so I metered the area we would be shooting in. As I wanted to use flash, my determining factor was my shutter speed, I needed to keep it under 1/200 sec, and ideally for me, 1/125. With that consideration I was metering between f6.3 and f9.0 at ISO 200. I was shooting with the Canon 5D MKII and the Canon 135mm f2 L lens, a favorite lens I don't get to use much.



 The image on the left was shot just using available light, and the image on the right was shot using the softbox. Both were shot at ISO 200, f/9.0. 1/125 sec. The flashed image certainly has more "POP" to it, and that tell tale catchlight sparkle in the eye. And the balance between the lit portion and the ambient is nearly perfect. Again, the effect I was going for is subtle, and the quality of light from the Westcott is pleasantly soft.


Again, in these examples, the lit picture has more contrast and saturation, and some sparkle in the eyes.

For the last examples, I moved my daughter to a back lit situation. These images were shot at ISO 200, f/7.1, and 1/200 sec. You will see a catch light in the eyes in the available light image, that is a result of sunlight bouncing off the softbox, and acting more as a reflector.

All in all, I am very pleased with the quality of light coming from The Westcott. Set up is easy, and compared to some other competitors, the cost is low. I think this unit will get a lot of use, and may become the go to light modifier for me when I just need to add a little pop to the ambient.

And always remember to provide your models with some form of compensation, be it images on cd's or money, or in this case, a trip to Toys R Us for zsu zsu pets...


5 comments:

  1. I love my Westcott! Your examples are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like always Frank, Thank You for sharing our experiences and knowledge & even your settings etc. I need to play with my softbox more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful review on how to achieve natural looking images with more “pop” than just using shaded ambient light! I’m glad to hear you’re pleased with using your new softbox Frank. I’ll ask you in person about how it differs from my Photoflex softbox. Also good advice on providing your models with some form of compensation esp. when they work for Zhu Zhu Pets ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete