Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A funny thing happened...

A funny thing happened at the Quincenera yesterday... But you'll have to read further to find out what it was ;-)

I shot the beautiful Ms Emily's Quincenera yesterday. I have done quite a bit of modeling work with her mother, and when her mom asked if she wanted a photographer for her Quince, she said absolutely, but I want Frank! Things like this make me happy.


 The first two images above were shot available light as Emily stood just inside the church doors. It was hot yesterday, so we were always looking for shade to keep cover in.


 The ceremony and party were held in Whittier, and on our way to a park to shoot the family and Quince party pictures, we drove down a street that had these beautiful trees. As soon as we were done shooting the formals, I took Emily right back there to shoot a few.

Yes, this image is shot at an abandoned auto garage, and yes, she is standing in dirt.  I have a recurring theme that I actively try to shoot whenever I get a chance. I love images of beautiful flowers that sprout up in very unexpected places. Taking the princess Emily to this location really nails that theme for me.
Available window light. Love the warmth and textures.

So what was the funny thing that happened? Well, at one point during the day, I noticed a familiar wedding photographer in the crowd. He wasn't shooting, he didn't even have a camera. I asked the mother of Emily if that was so & so, and she said "YES, he is my ex husbands brother in law, he's a wedding photographer. Do you know him?"

I said, "yes I do, I replaced him at Tri..." She really got a kick out of that, as we were more concerned that the drama would come from her ex-husband meeting her new boyfriend. Not from the wedding photographers. ;-) Incidentally, the ceremony and party went off with out a hitch, and yes, at Quincenera's, they do buy the photographer drinks...

Coming up this week at Tri:

Monday night we will discuss the wedding album

Wednesday night we will discuss proofs, deliverables, and the album

Thursday night we will have models. You can determine whether you get to shoot or not by bringing in images.

2 comments:

  1. Frank, you are amazing. There is NO question my daughter wanted you above all the rest, as she has seen the many photos you've taken of me. When I explained to her all the times we've been kicked out of places and run off by hillbillies with guns, etc. she was cracking up. You made her day special and with your images, made the princess come alive. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen. I had a blast, and your daughter is turning into a beautiful woman. It was a lot of fun on Saturday.

    And don't forget about the time Mel almost died in Duarte... good times ;-)

    ReplyDelete