Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

The new Westcott Apollo Softbox

Those of you in my Thursday class know that I bought the new 28" Westcott Apollo Softbox. And you know that because we used it that night of course. Here are a couple of test shots that I took with it. It will take me a little time to get used to it, but I think I am really going to like this unit. We were just using 1 light, and obviously it was dark, so this wouldn't be my typical or ideal use for it, I would prefer to use it in open shade much earlier in the day, but again, I just got it about 2 hours before these shots were taken ;-) I will do a much more thorough review on Faded & Blurred very soon.

The first shot is  of Herman in the parking structure after the jump:




The next 2 shots are of our models in the alleyway:


 For my first trial use of it I am very happy, and I think it will earn a regular spot in my bag of tricks. The setup couldn't be any easier, as it is the "umbrella style", and mounts right to the umbrella adapter. You will need to use your flashes in manual mode, and you also need triggers to fire them. Here are some links in case anyone is interested, and if you shot with us on Thursday night, what did you think?

Westcott Apollo 28" Softbox













And here are the triggers I used:

CowboyStudio Triggers














Umbrella Brackets:













Light Stands:

1 comment:

  1. Nice setup. I've been using that setup for a while. Another added bonus to using the wireless triggers is that you can use canon flashes on nikon cameras and vice versa. This helped me and my friend out alot since I was shooting with canon and she was using nikon. So we were able to combine our flash power together.

    ReplyDelete