Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Some days are easier than others


Some days are definately easier than others. Take yesterday for instance. When I left the house at 11, it was pretty gloomy outside and sprinkling. When I got to West Hollywood to do this shoot, it was beautiful. The gorgeous couple you see posted in this blog are Brian and Michelle. I stumbled into them quite by accident. One of my students asked if I could assist her on an engagement shoot. She is in my wedding class, and we have been discussing engagement shoots for awhile. Now while I normally don't take up

many offers to assist, she assured me that this couple would be worth it. Boy was she ever right!

Thanks for letting me Tag along Jennifer.


Now the amazing thing about this couple, was that they were both prepared and ready for a great day of shooting. Outfits choosen, hair and make-up done, manicured, had several locations already scouted. Made the day easy. It is also refreshing to work with a guy who had ideas for how he wanted his images, and they both took direction well. Not your typical stiff couple.

A little about the work flow here. I typically don't use Lightroom much, normally all Photoshop, with all the blemish removal and things that are normally required when you are working with non-model types and no professional make-up artists. But as I was reviewing the images and making my selects (in Lightroom, which makes this process easy) I realized I wouldn't have to do a lot of post process work. This allowed me to play with some presets I wanted to try, which you see here.




One of the main reasons I don't often use Lightroom is because of 1 of it's strengths. It makes changing things like exposure or whitebalance to a large group of images at once very easy. But as a typically outdoor location shooter or wedding shooter, I don't often have a large group of images I can adjust all at once.

I normally have to tweak individual images seperately.





Almost all the images you see here were done by using some free presets I found on the web. If you have Lightroom, do a search for free Lightroom presets. You will come up with a lot, and some of them are excellent. Here is a good starting point:

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/

and:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=33


Of course, even doing this, I still always finish everything in photoshop, that's is where I do my final cropping, sharpening, and image sizing for various outputs. I normally live in photoshop, but with this particular shoot, I was able to make my selects, and edit them down to 68 final images, and have them burned to a cd in about 3 hours utilizing both Lightroom and Photoshop. Unheard of, and my wife and kids are thankful I will be able to go play with them today.














On a street in West Hollywood. Available light, cloudy day didn't hurt

















A random wood door found on Santa Monica Blvd. Available light






























Michelle and Brian have a friend that owns a club. They allowed us to shoot inside before the club opened. 1 Alien Bee shot though a beauty dish, and a 1/15 sec shutterspeed to get some light on the bottles.
























Available window light in a very dark club


















Brian was very particular about this yellow dress, he wasn't a fan. But I think we made it work in this image.









I love this shot. I had to shoot this because she looked so cute standing on the brick to help us get a good shot. Michelle is just a tiny bit of a girl.

Coming up this week in class:

Monday Star Wars shoot

Wednesday perhaps we will cover teh workflow for this shoot

Thursday, does anyone have a couple that wants to come in and shoot?


See you in class,
Frank

6 comments:

  1. Wow Frank, those are spectacular images. They will cherish those forever. And yes, having a beautiful, comfortable couple doesn't hurt. I'm going to take the Lightroom class in Summer semester at Tri. Oh, btw...I'm also take your Lighting on Location class on Tuesday nights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, awesome images! love the way you work the light. Really cool how you comment on all the shots... I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol and Rafael, always good to hear feedback

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos, I love and live in LR! :D

    Nancy, Thursday Class

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has this couple seen these amazing and beautiful pictures that you shot? I'll bet they were thrilled and can't stop looking at them. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete