Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!




Here is hoping everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. It looks like the weather will be fantastic for shooting all weekend, so, charge up the batteries, format the cards, slap on the lenses, and get out there!

Speaking of Memorial Day, remember school will be closed on Monday, but it is open all weekend, so make sure you get in there and make some prints for our fabulous models. They are only working for images, let's please make sure we provide them.


I can't tell you how happy I am to see how well everyone has been improving in our Monday night "Lighting on Location" class. I am blown away by the quality and creativity I am seeing. So much growth in such a short time. I hope you are noticing the improvement in your own work.


Coming up for this weeks class, we have no Monday night class :-(

I am working on getting a couple for Wednesday night, does anyone have a couple that is willing to model for us?

Thursday night we will definately have a couple, and we will be doing our "Engagement shoot". For Thursday night, we will be shooting 2 weeks in a row.

On Thursday night, we talked about back up solutions. Here is a link to a program I highly recommend, GoodSync. They have a free 30 day trial, give it a shot.

http://www.goodsync.com/

And for this weeks thought provoking take on photography, please read Vincent Versace's recent guest blog on Scott Kelby's site:

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/4757s/4757

I have gotten a lot of inquiries about the lighting in a photoshoot I did with my wife awhile ago. Here is a sample image from that shoot:


The lighting in this is very simple. The image was shot at 2pm in May last year. All that is done here is to put the sun at the models back. Make sure that the light is even on the models front side, and meter the light on her face. In this particular case, the meter read F4, 1/100sec, ISO 100. Use the Manual mode, and apply those settings from the meter. This was shot with the Canon 5D and 70-200f2.8 IS, at 140mm.


Speaking of Canon, don't forget the instant rebates are still going on.

Another technique we talked about was using filtered window light, which led to using northern light in an open garage. For many examples of the technique, go look at Kevyn's site:

http://www.kevynmajorhoward.com/


And here is your weekly dose if inspiration (some images may not be work safe):

http://www.gormanphotography.com/gorman.html

Greg also has a great PDF tutorial on setting up an action for black and whites.

There are also many great links right over there------------>

See you all next week, and I am putting up a new challenge at the flickr site right now. Tri-students, come join or Flickr group.



Frank

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog Frank...so much information Have a great Memorial Day Weekend with your family. I hope you have fun.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to Santa Barbara for two days and I am going to find something Memorial Day like to post for our latest challenge. Happy Memorial Day everyone and thank you to all that are serving and have served in our military to protect us.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank,
    I posted my Memorial Day photos on Flickr. Check them out. I hope you had a great weekend and I will see you tomorrow at school.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete