Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

What do you like to shoot?



My name is Frank, and I shoot people. It's what I enjoy, and have a little talent for. I don't shoot landscapes, architecture, macros, flowers, product, abstracts, the list goes on and on. Not for lack of trying, and some people may tell you differently, but I don't really have the knack for it. I have great admiration for photographers that shoot all of those other types of images, and am often awed and occasionally jealous of others work and talent.



Many non-photography related friends assume that if you take nice pictures, you must be able to take nice pictures of everything. I whole heartedly disagree with that assumption. I do believe that as a photographer, you will find your niche. Now is that to say that you shouldn't attempt any other subject matter? Absolutely not. Don't think for an instant that when I go on vacation with my family, that I am not snapping away at the beautiful vista or memorable landmark in front of me. And I also very frequently go on photo walks and safaris with other photographers to try and sharpen my skills in other arenas.


But most of that sharpening of the skills get's applied to my wedding photography. As a wedding photographer, you must at least be able to dabble in all different aspects of photography. Wedding at a beautiful 19th century church? Shooting architecture. Getting pictures of the rings? Product or macro imagery. Someone getting married on the beach or in a National Park? Landscape. Table settings, cake, dinner, shoes, the dress, lot's of details that do not directly relate to people photography. I do them all when on a wedding shoot, and try to do them as creatively as possible.

Now, most of my shots that are outside the people realm are "technically" good. As in properly exposed, but they lack that "punch" of a much more talented photographer working those types of images.

So what is the meaning of all of this? I know what I can do decent enough, so that tends to be what I specialize in, but I also like all other types of photography too. So I keep trying. And I think that this adds an interesting dimension to the people aspect of my photography.


What really got me thinking about all of this is a forum posting by a photographer whose work I really dig., Kevin May. He is an amazing photographer who has the opposite problem, (or perception), than I do. He can shoot everything but people. Specifically, this forum discussion was on a website dedicated to shooting pretty girls. Yet he continues to participate in discussions and the posting of images. Said posting is here:




So while I don't think I am the next Ansel Adams, I certainly do have an appreciation for what he was able to do, and if anyone wants to go shoot in Yosemite, give me a call, and let's go. I am always up for trying to better my skills and my eye. Can we bring a model?







Now here is what is up for next week. I originally thought I was going to have something super cool to announce for Monday nights class, but it looks like it will have to wait a week. Keep your fingers crossed, it will be awesome. Instead, we will be playing with multiple flashes, in large groups. Maybe we will even try a class picture with everyone holding speedlights.



On Wednesday we will be lecturing. I know several of you have upcoming weddings, so we will cover everything again. Bring your questions.

On Thursday, we will be doing another Engagement shoot in downtown Covina, with one of our own. Cue spooky music...




Please don't forget to bring images. We have done a lot of shooting, and our models are only working for prints and images on CD. I would also love to see some work and critique it for the class.


I am also including a before and after shot from our Thursday night engagement shoot. Remember, I only took 4 shots, as I was just testing the lights so I could get the students shooting, but here they are. The setup was 2 speedlights, set to TTL, the main was shot through a white umbrella, and the light on him was gridded. ISO 400, f5.6, 1/60 sec:

And don't forget to tell me what you think so far in the comments below. Maybe even tell us what you like to shoot, and why? Or what type of photography you wish you were better at, or admire? Let's get all interactive.
See you soon,
Frank

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who knows me knows I love animals. That's my favorite subject to shoot. And my little Dachshund Chessie is my very favorite subject. I also love taking landscape pictures. And the better picture is Chessie in front of a beautiful landscape. I'm not as comfortable shooting people...maybe it's because I lack experience in that field. I'm learning however with all the opportunities that Tri has to offer. Lots of photo shoots with models.

    ReplyDelete