Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Death Punch!

For those of you in my Lighting on Location class, you should recognize these guys. I had the opportunity last night to shoot a live performance of the Punk Rock band Death Punch. What you see here was all shot with my old 5D (just in case there was any melee's or spilt beer), and it was all shot with only 2 lenses, the 50 f1.4 and the 35 f1.4L. And all shot on the same settings, ISO 1600 at f1.4. No flash, all available light, using only the AV mode, so the camera was picking my shutter speeds.

I have never shot a live music performance before, so I was excited about the possibilities. Most venues don't allow flash, so I didn't bring one. Of course, this venue probably would have let me bring in studio strobes on stands if I wanted. Live and learn. But, I am happy with the way these turned out.
These were all processed in Lightroom. I haven't done any cropping even. Prior to giving them to the band, I will clean some of these up, and I have about 100 more I am really happy with. I ran the new Default settings we have been discussing so much in my Wedding classes, and it really tweaked the colors. I loved it, so for this set, I left it. Shot them last night, posting them today.



The effect that Lightroom gave them is kinda gritty (aided by the ISO 1600) and the colors are saturated. This is Punk, it ain't pretty...




The band was awesome, I had a great time, and I had a couple of fellow friends shooting with me, they were in definite need of a diversion, and a live Punk show was just the answer. I am excited to see what they got, as they were using flash, and much lower ISO's. But for a 4 year old camera that has been banged around for years, and is normally used to quieter, much more reflective and intimate wedding shoots, I think it performed admirably. After all, ISO 1600 at f1.4 is Canon country. (sorry, couldn't resist) You can see a lot more of my images here:
As I edit some more I will add them there.





This is the last week of the summer session at Tri, so here is what's going on this week.
Monday night we will review the semester, answer any questions you might have, and relax with some inspiration from Mike Colon
Tuesday night we will be shooting
Wednesday night we will be gaining more inspiration from Jerry Ghionis' work.
Feel free to bring food on Monday or Wednesday, pot luck is welcome!
See you all soon,
Frank


3 comments:

  1. This is Punk, it ain't pretty...

    love the colors, the intensity, the grain -
    thats "pretty" to me :=)
    and thats punk

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE shot number 2! Man, that's sweet...

    ReplyDelete