Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

We are all on a journey...


Hey there everyone! I hope to have a couple of posts this weekend, but since it's August 1st, I'm starting with this thought. When we met with David Jay last weekend, we talked about how we as photographers spend a lot of time looking at others work. Sometimes there are issues associated with this. If you are looking at others work and admiring it for what it is, or gaining inspiration, or learning techniques that is fabulous.
But how often are you looking at anothers' work, and comparing yourself to them? Are you putting yourself down because your work is not as good as theirs? Getting depressed because your portfolio is not nearly as nice, or you don't seem to be as creative? Maybe your Photoshop skills aren't on the same level? You aren't making as much as they are shooting weddings? Or any other number of reasons that you wind up thinking maybe you should hang up your camera, turn it into a paper weight.
Ron Dawson posted a blog yesterday about a similar subject to. He's a film maker, but many of his ideas directly relate to us. He's says "I’ve decided that for one month I will refrain from watching the videos of anyone who I consider a potential competitor. I’m calling it the “Comparison Kills Creativity Campaign.” It’s purpose, to rejuvenate the spirit and get your creative juices flowing as never before"
He would like us all to take the next 30 days. I agree. And here are some of my thoughts on the subject. I can expand here on some things I started on my Facebook page. Please add your thoughts in the comments below.
We are all on a journey, and we are at different waypoints along our travels. Let's not go backwards by comparing ourselves to people far ahead of us, or belittle people far behind us, just know that we are all hopefully still making progress. Some days the progress will be small, some days many miles will be traveled, and still other days we need to wait while some maintenance issues need to be dealt with.
Occasionally on your journey you will need to stop and refuel and refresh, maybe check the map to see where you are going, make sure you are not heading in the wrong direction. Consider these stops moments of reflection, and times to check on what other people are doing. And occasionally on your journey, you may find a place that you really love. Your going to stay there awhile, maybe put down some roots, find a place where you are comfortable and can call home. Then you have found your style. But don't forget to take a day trip now and then, or an extended vacation... I have a feeling I will be on my journey for a long time. There is just so much I want to see...
Some people started on their journey long before we ever did. They knew where they were headed, while some of us spent a long time figuring out where we wanted to go. Some people are traveling very fast on their journey, and some of us are taking the "scenic route". But we are still making progress, and still heading in the right direction. All of our journey's are taking a different road, there is no direct route from here to there. You need to know that that's okay. Even desirable. It's a lot of fun to occasionally sit down and reflect on where we have been, the things we have seen, and the people we have met along the way.
That's why we take pictures, after all, isn't it?
Frank

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Frank. A lot to think about. I struggle all the time with the comparison game and losing my way on the journey thinking I'll never be good enough. I need to get back to just focusing on MY journey - not everyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage words, dude. The comparison game: I'm guilty on so many counts. I see many images that wow me. For the most part, I know I could recreate similar, reverse engineer them if you will, but why would I want to recreate the work of others when I haven't fully explored what I might be capable of producing myself? Maybe it's best to strive to make pictures that others attempt to recreate? Maybe we should all just do our thing, do what we want to do.... sorry, now I have that song stuck in my head. Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog as usual Frank. I like how you matched the Dead End sign with the relationship of the blog. I always look forward to your blogs...always informative, interesting, and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone. And just so you know Jimmy, I am always trying to recreate work your doing. ;-)

    Nikki, I am glad the for the time being, you, Jeffery, and I are on the road together. It's a lot of fun.

    And Carol, thank you for the constant support, it means a lot to me.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with your post. I always start by looking at others for inspiration and end up thinking that I'm pushing my photography the wrong way. It's such a delicate balance. We definitely are our toughest critics.

    Chris B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not good enough to compare myself to others, yet. At this point I just want to emulate shots that inspire me so I can learn technique. Hopefully down the road I won't spend too much time comparing myself to others ... unless it motivates me to become a better photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always Frank, you were the first to get a t-shirt going. Look for me to be at your Venice walk.

    Berlin

    ReplyDelete