Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A blog about nothing...


Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of content around here, it has been a hectic and busy 2 weeks. So here is a brief explanation, and promises of some things coming up.
As you all know, I teach 3 nights a week. I have had so many ideas bouncing around in my head recently, and some irons in the fire, that I suffered from some insomnia of late. (Please , no worries, it's all okay) so on Thursday, when I normally do an update, I was wiped out. On Friday, I spent time with the family, as I knew I was shooting a big birthday event on Saturday and I had the David Jay seminar today.
David's site is here:
The event on Saturday was fabulous, and the client was a former student of mine. She is a photographer, and several other students were there also. No pressure, right?
We did a shoot the week prior as she wanted to have some images of herself that were sexy, strong, and beautiful. This student is all of those things, so my job was easy. They came out fantastic, as did her event.
Today, I was at the David Jay seminar, hosted by "Fotografos de Corazon". What a great organization, and they are just starting to take off. They had Bambi Cantrell in recently, and David today. That's who I'm standing with in the image above. David has some brilliant and clever marketing strategies and workflow techniques that he shared with the attendees, and I think we all left his appearance with several ideas that can be implemented easily and quickly into our own workflow and marketing endeavours, making it well worth the $45 and trip to Irvine. If you get a chance to see David Jay, I can very highly recommend him. I'm sure I will be discussing a few of his techniques in up coming classes. One of his core beliefs is a sense of community, networking and service. I am with him 100 %. I try to pass on as much knowledge as I possibly can in my classes, and I make myself extremely accessible to my students and friends. I believe you all know one of several ways to get hold of me, and if not, there are several listed right over there to the right--->
I really like to think that I am not teaching students, but building a community. We all share a common interest, photography, right? Maybe our dreams and aspirations for our photography aren't the same, but surely we can all agree that we want to be better photographers. Maybe some of us want to be better "wedding" photographers, or better "insert type/style here", and maybe some of us are happy doing what we are doing, and are enjoying photography as a hobby and passion. But we all would love to be better. So we want to learn. And I believe we all need to share, nurture, and protect each other. David helped reinforce that for me today. And he shoots Canon. Just sayin... ;-)
There were about 10 Tri students there, I was hoping for more, I think many people missed out. But Fotografos de Corazon will be sponsoring more people in their lecture series. They have Gary Fong and Yervant lined up in the future, and are working on Jerry Ghionis, so stay tuned.
Jeffery Saddoris was at the lecture today too. He and I are in the process of assembling our own photowalk, on August 29th. Please comment below on wether you would be interested in attending. We are considering a beach city to get some sunset shots. Again, please comment below if you have any ideas, and we will keep you posted.
This week in class:
Monday will be a lecture in Beginning wedding
Tuesday we will be shooting
Wednesday we will have some Photoshop instruction, and maybe touch on Lightroom
And a note to my students. I have been very disappointed in the amount of images that are being provided to our models in my Lighting class. Participation has been very high, on both the student and models part. If you would like them to keep coming in, please bring prints. If I don't get images on Tuesday night (all I need is a cd) I will know that perhaps you would just prefer that I lecture the rest of the semester, or you would rather just watch me shoot.
I promise to have a more informational post up soon. I just felt the need to get something up before Monday.
See you soon,
Frank

8 comments:

  1. Yep. What he said. What makes the community of artists and photographers so engaging and unique is just that...community. One of the great things I took away from the David Jay workshop is that we all need to support each other to keep this whole thing working. Get out there and blog and comment and help other folks when you can. I know it sounds like one of those "duh" things, but we all get caught up in our own stuff and sometimes the little bits of reaching out suffers. I know that's the case in my life. Take a few minutes and just let someone know you've got their back. And don't just twitter someone saying you liked their post...actually leave the comment on the post! (rant mode off)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be VERY interested in attending the photowalk and the beach is always nice! Venice or Balboa are always interesting places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go on one of the walks..The beach would be awesome but how about the mountains at sunset..Looking forward to this. This is Mary (trouble-maker)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While the mountains would be a good idea for a shoot, for the concept of the photowalk it isn't really feasible. Getting 50-60 people there would be tough, parking is an issue,having a place to stop and eat will be tough, and aside from the shot at sunset, there may not be enough things for us to see and walk around and talk about for 4 hours.Of course, at Sunset at the beach, you could turn around and shoot a picture of the mountains... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in, this will be fun. I had a great time on the photowalk.(not counting the grumpy husband)...Maria N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome lecture tonight. The Develop Defaults worked beautifully on most of my photos...cutting my pp time in half (at least). THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Wendi, and awesome participation from you and the other students. And how awesome is the develop default? I'm glad you enjoyed, and I'm happy last nights class went so well.

    And I'm gonna take you up on your idea, expect a blog about what I love to shoot soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Frank..didn't think about that..but I'm still up for wherever you are thinking...Let me know because its my grand daughters birthday that day and I'm trying to make plans. Hopefully you will make as early as you can...Thanks, Trouble maker

    ReplyDelete