Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Scott Kelby's World Wide Photowalk 7/18/2009

I spent 7/18/09 Participating in Scott Kelby's 2nd annual World Wide Photowalk. Our walk was located in Chinatown, Los Angeles California, and our walk was scheduled from 8-10 am.

Many students from our school, Tri-Community Photography Center showed up, so I was surrounded by old and new friends.

To say I had a good time is an understatement. I had a blast, and feel like my photography was re-invigorated and my soul recharged.


These images are in no particular order, as Blogger wasn't cooperating with me, but that's okay, because yesterday turned into so much more than a walk through Chinatown. We walked Chinatown, then we walked to Philippes for food and drink, then we walked to Union Station, then we walked to Olvera St, had some more drinks, then back through Chinatown. It got hot, and our 2 hour walk turned into a 9 hour walking tour.
Along the way, I talked and laughed with some I knew well, and some I didn't. We wandered off in groups, and we wandered off solo. When it was time to move on, we gathered everyone up and moved along. Then we talked and laughed some more. And laughed some more.
As photographers sometimes we tend to isolate ourselves. Photography often times is a solo sport. Your out shooting, then sitting at a computer editing, both tend to be very introverted activities




Even as we were shooting in a group, there was a good deal of private moments as each photographer saw something that caught their eye. But then we would head off to our next destination and laugh some more.






I wonder if Matthew got a release?
It was great to see some of my students practicing so many things that they learned in my class, and even teaching other people some of those techniques. It feels really good to know they get it, believe it, pratice it, and pass it on. Thank you for that, it makes me feel good.



It's okay Matthew,I didn't get this released either... ;-)






















Did I mention we had fun? What a motley crew we were. And is that Vincent shooting a picture of his iPhone shooting a picture?






Look at that form!









Enjoying the local eatery Phillipes. My first time there, but not my last, and the beer was COLD!

I think each of us on the journey had different images we focused on. Mine became color and umbrellas. I like this one.













The Tri-Community group at the end of the Chinatown leg of our journey.










When in China....



We had beautiful morning light, and I got to show some students how to get those blue sky's by dialing down 2/3 of a stop exposure.





What is this Kodak film you speak of?











The red lanterns were obviously a focus of many of the shooters in Chinatown. I need to come back here soon at dusk.














My favorite image of the day, with the red lanterns reflected in a pond.














Sometimes, it all about the details. I was also drawn to the color of the orange tiles



























It's all about contrast here












As it got hotter and hotter, this became a quest to find. ;-) And find it we did
























Again, I had a wonderful time, and as I said, it became so much more than just a photo walk. Thanks to all who participated, and hung out with us in the heat. I certainly know it was worth it for me. And a special thanks to Scott Kelby for organizing the festivities. I know it must feel good for him to give back, as I learned how good that made me feel.
Here is a video shot by our walk leader Damon Webster of http://www.photoinduced.com/
This week in my classes:
Monday night: Portrait photoshop techniques if I can get my laptop working.
Tuesday night: We are shooting up and coming punk band Death Punch
Wednesday night: Wedding shoot in Covina, bring your cameras and flash.
And if you are looking for something to do next Sunday, come join me in attending David Jay's seminar in Irvine. $45 and includes lunch. More info here:
http://www.fotografosdecorazon.com/
We made Scott Kelbys blog! He posted our video on his page from the Chinatown walk. You can see it here: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/5580
Many familiar faces.

Have a fantastic week, see you all soon.
Frank

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog about Chinatown Frank. For me it just rubs in how much I missed because I had other plans. I'm going next time for sure. If I had been along...I would have found that "cocktails air conditioning" location sooner than anyone else. Love all the pictures I've seen and the video on You Tube was cool too. Thanks for posting...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I missed it hope next year will be open so that I can be a part of...Rudy tuesday night class

    ReplyDelete