Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What is photography providing to you?

I took my daughter to the Los Angeles Arboretum this week. This is not news, we have family passes, and are often there 2-3 times a month. They have recently redone the entrance building, and have added the flags that you see in this post. 6 flags with 6 single words on each. The words were meant to describe the experience you may derive from a trip to the Arboretum. But I read those words and had my own single word:

Exactly

These words are exactly what my photography does for me and provides to me. Many of us have arrived here through a passion for photography. We have been told we have "the eye" or we have always enjoyed taking pictures. We become the "family & friends" event photographer. We get invited to all the family birthday parties, weddings, anniversaries, etc, so the family knows good images will be taken. And then the inevitable question arises. Can I make money doing this?

One must be very careful when trying to monetize a passion. If you came to this honestly, and just have to share your work with the world, and are able to satisfy your clients with your imagery, satisfy yourself with good quality work, and put some money in your pocket, congratulations! But please be careful that your passion, doesn't become your job. If you lose the spark, or the drive becomes more about making money, and less about the image, it shows. And as soon as that happens, you have lost a creative outlet that was providing the energy to fuel your passion.

Here are the words on those 6 flags (6 flags, more fun!) that photography provides to me, and I hope it is providing to you. If you feel like you lost one or all of these along the way, please stop and examine that. Find a way to get that back and re-ignite it. It's important to us... This first word is pretty self explanatory. I love shooting. Anything. Everything. The time spent with the camera. The time spent reviewing the images. The time spent with family and friends. Teaching. The time spent scouring the new B&H catalog. Like when I was a kid and the Christmas edition of the Sears catalog came. I love being out and about with my camera. I love capturing other people in love at their weddings. It has brought me so much closer to friends and family, and it has allowed me ways to show my love to others.


This next word, Enjoy, is a biggie. If you have stopped enjoying your time spent in photography, please find a way to reconnect. Shoot something new or different. Go out shooting with a fellow shutter bug for a day. Make something for yourself. Again, if this has become a job that you dread going to everyday, perhaps it's time to find another job? Photography is a creative endeavor, much like any other artistic medium. When the sole focus is on making money, the work suffers, and you have lost an outlet to enjoy yourself.
This is a no brainer. If you are currently working in a 9-5 job, what is it you do on the weekends to unwind and relax? You grab your camera. So if your a mechanic, or a Doctor, or a Barrista, and have a tough day at the office, you come home, grab your gear, and head off to shoot a beautiful sunset. Even if the sunset isn't particularly spectacular, you still wind up getting immersed in the art of photography. It allows your mind to focus on something else and forget about the labors of your day. But what if your a full time working pro? Does that mean in order to relax you need to take up golf? No. There are so many specific niches in photography that you probably specialize in something, so how about trying a different subject matter than the norm?


This should be happening all the time. Discovering new techniques. New subjects. New locations. New Photoshop actions. New friends. New feelings. New passions. New self revelations.




Explore the not so obvious, yourself, your feelings, your reasoning for doing this, your drive. And explore the obvious, new locations, travels, friendships, love of photography.



A sense of wonderment in photography is a tangible and beautiful thing. You can see it in the eyes. It provides the spark that we need to continue to grow as artists. Don't ever loose it.
Frank





4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Frank. I still worry to this day that is I get all wrapped in making the "mega dollar" will I still love what I do. Will I have the freedom for creativity or just abide to what the client wants? Good topic that has entered all of our minds! ....Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Frank! Thank you, we all need to be reminded once in a while of why we got into this in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Frank. I would say not only applicable to photography, but any creative endeavor you are passionate about. I get the same thing from painting that you do from photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO TIMELY! I was just having this conversation with myself the other day. I went out for a surf and amazingly enough, a great day surfing really helped clear my head and gave me tons inspiration and then the new ideas began to flow....I feel renewed and my camera is reaping the rewards! lol. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete