Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

No shoes required



Hey everyone!

Spring is here. And it is Easter weekend. For my family, this means Easter egg hunts, family gatherings, and time spent outdoors with the kids. All great opportunities to shoot images. The weather here in Southern California will of course be beautiful. Please take the time to capture/make/participate in memories!

I have been reading Chris Orwig's amazing book "Visual Poetry". A great read. Chris is a photographer and teacher at the Brooks Institute for Photography, and is a people shooter. This book provides lot's of inspiration and ideas for portrait shooters. While I was reading the section on shooting families, he was discussing locations, and something he said resonated with me. "The best locations require no shoes. They are simple, full of texture, and alive. These are the ones you visit and think, "Why don't I come here more often?""

I couldn't agree more, and especially with my children, if you don't need shoes, you are relaxed, comfortable, and playful. All great ingredients for a photo shoot. So get out there this weekend, and take your friends, family, clients to a spot where they can kick off their shoes, and relax. Have your clients ditch the Brooks Brothers suit and leather shoes and feel the sand between their toes. It's good for the sole, er soul :-)


 The images of my daughter were shot in my front yard and on our porch, with the Canon 5DMKII, and the 135 f/2L. No shoes were required...

No comments:

Post a Comment