Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Give me something to believe in...

"Something to Believe In"

The link above takes you to the YouTube video for Poison's song "Something to Believe In". It's not available to embed. It's a great song with a poignant message, but it never mentions anything to actually believe in, it's more about the search. I posted a blog post very similar to this earlier this year, but I have had a strange week, with some emotional ups and downs this week, and this song has been in heavy rotation on my iPod recently. I will be going to see Bret Michaels (also a sufferer of diabetes) this weekend at an American Diabetes Charity show, and I have a feeling, when he performs this song, it will be pretty powerful for me.



Since my initial post, to say I've had some life changing events wouldn't do them justice. And with the upcoming end of my teaching at Tri, I've had a lot on my mind recently. So here is a slightly updated list with some new things I believe in.


  1. The ability of a small group of people banding together, supporting and encouraging my family, and exceeding my wildest expectations. I will forever be thankful to all of you for your amazing support of "The Peanut Gallery"
  2. That we will find a cure
  3. The students of Tri-Community Photography Center
  4. That this isn't goodbye
  5. The ability of a 7 year old child being able to understand, put in perspective, and deal with diabetes. She is the strongest, most brave person I have ever met. I am so proud to call her my daughter.
  6. My daughter's "Proud Face"
  7. My son's "Angry Face"
  8. That we will find a cure
  9. Emerergen-C
  10. That people will learn my daughter didn't get diabetes from eating too many Snickers bars
  11. The sound of my son's laugh
  12. The twinkle in my wife's eyes
  13. The power of photography
  14. The small of a woman's back
  15. Apple products
  16. Dreams
  17. Goals
  18. Faded & Blurred
  19. That I still haven't hit my peak
  20. That we will find a cure
  21. Family
  22. http://lifehacker.com/
  23. The words "I'm Sorry"
  24. Adobe's Lightroom
  25. The Yardhouse
  26. Newcastle beer
  27. Dr. Pepper
  28. That "Good enough" often trumps perfection
  29. The Coke at McDonald's
  30. Wasabi
  31. Disneyland
  32. Trust
  33. Friendship
  34. Blue jeans
  35. My children's future
  36. My wife's shoulders
  37. That we will find a cure
  38. Christmas Eve
  39. Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours"
  40. Plavix
  41. Novolog
  42. The smell of wet concrete
  43. Fresh cut grass
  44. The Arboretum
  45. Dodger Stadium on opening day
  46. The Seahawk's chances this year
  47. The laughter when Beth, Laurie, and Sue are together
  48. That we will find a cure
  49. "ABCD, burp, dinosaur eyeball"
  50. My friend Tommy
  51. Spaying & neutering your pets
  52. Star Wars and that my children will someday have their own awe inspiring, movie going experience
  53. Kevin Smith
  54. Rolling Rock
  55. The Thin Man series
  56. My 40's
  57. Metallica
  58. That we will find a cure
  59. Road trips
  60. My son's eyes
  61. Spicy chicken noodle soup from Teri & Yaki
  62. Chicken noodle soup from Panera
  63. Free wi-fi
  64. Pulp Fiction
  65. The ability of a great song to transport you right back to a particular time or event in your life
  66. The power of passion
  67. Flu shots
  68. That implied is sexier
  69. The Canon 100-400mm f/4-5.6L
  70. The 28" Westcott Apollo Softbox
  71. In-N-Out burgers
  72. That we will find a cure
  73. Flannel shirts
  74. That 10 years with the same woman isn't nearly enough
  75. That I still haven't taken a good photograph, but I'm getting better
  76. That I have been in the presence of greatness, they just don't know it yet
  77. That just being sad or upset doesn't change things, sometimes you need to get angry
  78. That I still don't know what I'm doing, but I do know more than yesterday
  79. That I actually have things to share, and people that are interested in listening
  80. The importance of this red rubber band around my wrist
  81. The camera in my iPhone
  82. and that we will find a cure
What are some of yours?

7 comments:

  1. I believe the average person is a good person, doesn't believe it and wants to be a better person.
    I believe every child is another chance for the world to be a better place.
    I believe it is our job to give them that chance.
    I believe in us, as a community.
    I believe that she is out there somewhere, and even if I'm wrong, I'm still okay.
    I believe both of my sons will grow up to be even better than they are today.
    I believe that in 50 years, that which we consider to be significant handicaps won't even be worth considering as such.
    I believe that in 500 years, the world will be a much better place than it is today, but I don't want to live that long to find out.
    I believe that someday I'll make a difference to somebody I don't even know yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe / belive in...
    Frank wise, his daughter and his family
    The three stooges
    Star wars
    That we will find a cure
    That I confuse paradise with a pair of long legs
    That i will, one day, make out with Carmen Electra
    My parents
    A first kiss
    That the Force is strong with this one
    Not the words "I love you" but everything that comes along with truly meaning them
    That music and it's power is good for the soul
    The movie Casablanca
    That my "vision" is getting better
    That there is no place I would rather be then behind a camera or behind a bar
    That I don't have to be the best, I only have to be better then last week
    That I must be the change I want to see in the world
    That a patent clerk can become a physicist and change the way people think
    That one day I will be able to take a decent photograph
    That one day I will be an inspiration to others
    That my film camera is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age
    That I will be a better person now, and not wait for tomorrow
    Jäger bombs and Blue Moon
    San Diego Comic Con
    That Jaws will still scare me when I'm 90
    Vans
    Star Wars t-shirts
    Walt Disney's dream
    The Depeche Mode song "Somebody"
    the magic of a smile
    501 jeans
    That I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you are absolutely right Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. And damnit! How did I forget Casablanca and Somebody!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe...

    In my son..
    In the power of prayer...
    In the gift of forgiveness...
    In family...
    In good friends...
    In guardian angels with 4 paws and wagging tails..
    In miracles...
    In unconditional love...
    I believe that no matter how rough life gets one kind word eases the journey...
    I believe that "Nana's" are magical...
    I believe that no matter how old children get a parent will always view them as their "babies"...
    I believe that prayer does not change things it changes people and people change things...
    I believe that music really does soothe the soul...
    I believe in Santa Claus and the magic of Christmas...
    I believe each new day is a gift...
    I believe we can learn from the past...
    I believe no matter hold I get I will always rely on the comforting words of my mom...
    I believe in hugs....
    I believe in romance...
    I believe in the old time movie classics...
    I believe there are no mistakes only bad choices...
    I believe fate determines who comes in to your life and your behavior determines who stays...
    I believe someday someone will come in to your life and you will realize why it never worked with anyone else...
    I believe being a parent is the most difficult yet rewarding gift...
    I believe my parents believe they did the best they could...
    I believe I really was my "grandmother's favorite"...
    I believe there is a lesson to learn from each and every person who crosses my path...
    I believe good people leave us too early...
    I believe loving a pet heals the heart...
    I believe I strived to do my best as a parent...
    I believe I am a loving Nana...
    I believe in holding hands...
    I believe children can devastate their parents and vice versa...
    I believe there is no greater gift in the world than love...
    I believe that before I leave this world I will have made a small difference in someone's life...
    I believe that one day we will find a cure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank,
    I saw this quote and thought of your post. So when you are down, think of this:
    "The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen."
    by Frank Loyd Wright

    Tony Vazquez
    dicatitony@msn.com

    ReplyDelete