Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Help me help my daughter


The Peanut Gallery

On July 30, my family received devastating news. Life as we knew would change. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. No more spur of the moment trips for frozen yoghurt, or just "grabbing something to eat" when we get there. My daughter is insulin dependent. Every meal, snack, drink, etc, needs to be accounted for, and we need to know the carb count of every item she ingests.


2 1/2 months later, we are doing better dealing with her disease. But still, things come up. Some days are better then others. Sometimes the nutritional information is correct, and sometimes, well, it just isn't. My wife and I are getting better at "guessing" and eyeballing meals. But today, my daughter will be attending a 7 year olds' birthday party. Have you ever taken your child to a birthday party, and told her she couldn't have the birthday cake? Or had to bring your own food? It's tough. And heart breaking for my wife and I. But my daughter is an amazing little girl, and she understands she can't do that. We do make allowances for her, and try to provide her with some "fun treats" at meal times, when we can account for them and provide her insulin. But it still shouldn't be this way.

And all though we think we have a plan, how do you tell your child that on Halloween, one of her favorite holidays, she can trick or treat, but she can't have any candy? Halloween is an amazing time of year for a child. It is the start of the winter holiday season, and people open their homes for the children, and provide tasty treats. My daughter loves to dress up, and she loves going to the spooky houses. And she loves Snickers and Reese's peanut butter cups. All tough we think we have a plan, and she seems okay with it today, she's 7, and perhaps the reality won't set in until we are actually out trick-or-treating on Halloween. There are a lot of things our family can control, and situations we can try to avoid, but the reality is, while we are out with our group, children will be eating candies, and my daughter will be told that she can't.

On November 13th, my family will be participating in our first fund raising event for the American Diabetes Association. It won't be our last. But we have set a lofty goal for our group, and we need your help. Please donate whatever you can afford, to help us find a cure for my daugther, and the millions of other people dealing daily with diabetes. Click the link, and do what you can:  The Peanut Gallery

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, everytime I think about her it just breaks my heart. We donated a few weeks ago and I wish we could attend the walk, but we have another commitment. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank, I added your link to my FaceBook and asked for my friends to also help to your cause. The more the word gets out the better the help, I hope. See ya in class tomorrow night.
    Tony Vazquez

    ReplyDelete